To communicate between the batteries and from the defence line to the staff and observation stands
telephones, radio and flash-signals were used.
(The flash-signals in German are Blink-signal, the posts Blink-stations and the operator is a Blinker.) In
the following referred to as Blink-stations.
We know not much about the telephone system, because nothing is left, we can assume a standard
military field telephone system.
We know more about the Blink stations. We can assume that is has been some kind of a coded Morse
system. A number of blink stations were constructed in the area, both as towers and placed into
barrows high in the terrain. In the last case, holes were made in the side, so the flash-signals could be
Blink-stations were placed at Knivsbjerg, Venbjerg, between Venbjerg and Hoptrup, Stenhøj, Björnskov,
Gestrup, Toftlund, Vongshøj, Gasse Höje, Bredebro, Ballum, Juvre, Havneby and List on the island of
Furthermode there were placed two blink-stations in front of the defence-line at Höjrup and Fjellumhöj.
The lamp was driven by acetylene gas, and had an opening of 50 cm. Beside this an acetylene gas tank
was needed and an oxygen battery were needed.
The flashes (blink) were made by pushing a disk between the flame and the mirror in the lamp.
It has been told, that the flashes in clear sunshine without field glasses easily could be seen at a
distance of 15 km.
Several reports from the battlefield confirmed, that the flash signals were the most effective and stabile
field communication at the time.
Signal flares could not be seen under shelling, telephone cables were vulnerable and the radios were
In Jena, 1921, a memorial for the fallen Blinker was raised in recognition of their great importance. The memorial was restored a
few years ago.