At the start of the war, Germany only had one airship the Zeppelin L 3. But shortly after the outbreak of the war the number of airships
increased, and thus the need of storing facilities. In September 1914, a hangar facility at Tonder was proposed and already in March
1915 the first two hangars ready were ready.
On March 23rd 1915 the first airship, Parceval PL 25, landed on base. It was stationed in Tönder over the next 8 months.
On April 25th 1915 the first Zeppelin, L 7, landed on the base.
The base was a few miles north of the city Tönder (Tondern), and was virtually self-sufficient in both gas, water and heat, electricity and
sewage systems. The base consisted of the following facilities:
3 airship hangars, "Tobias" and "Toni" (1 airship in each) and "Toska" (2 airships)
(T0 = Tondern / Tönder)
1 aeroplane hangar with room for 5 fighters Albatros D III
1 anchorage for temporary docking of an airship
Radio station for communications with the airships via telegraph.
Locator transmitter that airships could navigate after
Lighthouse on the northwest end of "Tobias” roof
Gasworks and tanks of 50,000 cubic meters gas
Central Heating to the base.
Sewerage and sewage treatment plants.
Residential Barracks to approx. 600 soldiers.
Underground gasoline stocks:
"Tobias" and "Toni" the hangars had a stock of 10,000 liters each.
"Toska" had a stock of 30,000 liters.
Railway connected the Tönder-Tinglev Main Railroad
Flood Lights on rails
The German Navy got more and more Zeppelins, which led to the construction of a double hangar in Tönder. The was finished januar
17th 1916. An enormous structure with a length of 242 meters, width of 73 meters and a height of 42 meters. It was named Toska.
All the hangars in Tondern were given names starting with TO meaning situated in Tondern. Toska was hit by numerous accidents
from the start.
Already in November 1915, before the hangar was completely finished. There was an accident during the hydrogen fueling of Zeppelin
L 18, so the airship caught fire and burned out. In March 1916 the Zeppelin L 22 collided with the gates of the hall and the whole front
part was destroyed.
Again in December 1916, when the Zeppelin L 24 were towed into TOSKA , the wind brought the Zeppelin out of control and it hit a
lightbulb in the hall ceiling. The airship caught fire and both L 24 itself, and the Zeppelin L 17 which also was in the hall, burned downw
when the hangar Toska was completed, the construction of a gasworks southeast of the hangars began. The Zeppelins were heavy
users of hydrogen, and after the completion of Toska there was a great need.
The existing gasworks was upgraded to a capacity of 8000 m3 of hydrogen per day. Tanks were also built, with a total capacity of
56,000 m3 both, above and below ground. The hydrogen was led to the airship hangars via underground pipes.
This was far from enough and the base had to be further provided with hydrogen on specially built rail wagons from other plants.
There was seconded for the base 5 fighter-type Albatros D III was placed on the base for defence. This was a very modern aeroplane from
1916. This modern material shows how important the base was considered.
For these aircrafts, a hangar was
built in the base's southern end. 78 m long, 12 meters high and 25 m wide. The
runway was built in front